Monday, May 21, 2007

Catchup!

OK so I missed a few days...I've been a little busy since I started work. Monday I went to work at the Daily News Building. The building is really cool and I like working in the financial district. Everyone at work is really nice and I'm having a lot of fun. My supervisor, Alli, is really cool. She used to work for a fashion magazine, I think. I have to be careful about what I post about work, but I don' t have anything bad at all to say so it works out!

My first day was fun, but I had a lot of training. Then I went to my desk and learned WordPress, and HTML coding. The guy at the cubicle next to mine is an admin. He's really funny because he talks to himself all day long. At one point he was doing it really bad, until he said "Have you ever seen that episode of Will and Grace..." and I realized he was talking on the phone that time! He's nice about it though. He was like "I'm sorry...I talk to myself." I also went out to lunch with Dave who is another intern here from BYU.

That night we went out to Central Park and met up with the Professor that's here with the BYU group. The Comms department has a big group of students interning right now and they all live in the international housing at Columbia. I'm not in that group, but it's fun to meet all of them and hang out.

This week I've been doing research on online media music. There is a lot of cool stuff now that I've found. I'll have to put all of the info on here when I'm done. They want to make an online media platform that has all of the info for new technology. I also sat in on a meeting with my whole team about a NGT video. They are really impressive. We saw one version of the movie and they thought of all these things to make the movie less corporate. I might be helping to get some sound clips from my friends about how important things like SNS and mobile are to them.

Thursday I met up with Lisa and Phil, who are both with the Columbia group. Lisa plans a lot of excursions which is a lot of fun. Thursday night we went to this old bookstore and then went to St. Mark's and ate hummus at this really cool Greek cafe.

The next day we went to the lottery at "The Drowsy Chaperone" which is the best musical tony award winner this past year. We won $25 tickets in the front row. It was SO funny. The premise is a guy in his apartment that plays a record of an old musical and the musical comes to life. He narrates as it goes. It was awesome. We ended up wandering around forever just for fun.

On Saturday we went to Stake Conference which was awesome. Stake Conference gets translated into ASL, Chinese, Cantonese, Spanish, everything here. It's pretty impressive.
That night we went all the way up to 175th street (and I found out that the Seinfeld cafe is just north of my house) to go to a Dominican restuarant. Sunday after church we made dumplings at my house and then I went up to the International House with the Columbia kids to have cookies at that Professor's house.

Last night for FHE we went to the Shake Shack which had great shakes and burgers and has seating in the park with lights up in the trees. It was a nice atmosphere. We also saw Joey Slotnick (Ellen, Boston Public) on the train. My first B-list celebrity! I met a guy in the ward that's from Nanjing. He's really nice. He got baptized while he was at school at Harvard.

No comments: