Friday, May 11, 2007

First thoughts on New York

Well I'm here! I finally landed here in New York last night, and I'm officially a local. It worked out perfect because my brother was coming back from a business trip so there was a car waiting for us. The guy had the little sign with our name on it and everything!
Last night I unpacked and got into my new apartment. I met one of my roommates Tony, who is an actor. He graduated in MDT (I know...) from BYU. He seems really cool. He was Diego on the tour of Dora the Explorer (beat that!). Josh is another roommate who graduated in film, but I haven't really gotten to know him. I think they'll be great roommates.
My apartment is really cool. I'm just off of Broadway and 108th on the Upper West Side. Its a really pretty neighborhood. I'm glad I decided to stay out of the Ghetto. My apartment is all wooden floors, and my room has exposed white brick. I really like it.
Today I got my room all situated and then I walked over to Central Park (about 2 blocks) and went on a quick run. I think I saw a squirrel run up to scare a group of pigeons. I swear he did it on purpose.
Then I went down to Time Square. Its funny walking off the subway at Time Square and you can just tell everybody is a tourist. All of a sudden its "Ah jeez Madge, look there's Les Mis!"Then I went down to lower mid-town to check out my new work building. The Daily News Building (Yes, from the Superman movies everybody) is really cool, but I almost got tackled by security trying to go upstairs to check it out...I guess I'll wait until I have a work badge.
I thought that I might feel a bit like a bumpkin out here (what with high society's cement ponds and indoor privies and all!) but I think I'm doing OK. Give it a few days and I hope I won't look like a tourist anymore.
I'm doing well, and I plan to go out and hang out with Mike tonight. I'll have more details soon!

No comments: